Julie Mozart's Sort of Comprehensive Editing Plan



I am a great lover of lists and steps. As many of you may know, I'm in my editing phase of The Half Glass Girl (it's awful btw) and I'm finally at a place where it's getting better (ignore the last parenthesis, I'm just a baby). This, my dear friends, is all due to my lists and steps. When I first started editing, (or deciding to embark on the editing quest) it was just before Christmas. I spent the entire Christmas holidays searching for step-by-step ways to edit. Guess what? Nothin'. Notta.Zilch.
Image result for editing writing Most of the answers I got to searches like that were 'everyone's editing style is different' and 'remember not to rush'. Yes, well, my editing style is mooching off of others, Karen.
I finally reached a part in my editing where I felt as though I was absolutely drowning in plot and to-dos and I didn't even know where to look. Nothing was organized and I needed some structure to show me that I was getting stuff done. I needed a direction.
SO I DID IT MYSELF.
  And for anyone who is a Plantser like me, I think this may come in handy. It's entirely up to you to trade things out or add to it - I've already done that a few times during my editing process.
However, I've broken down the editing journey into 8 easily defined drafts with a total of 35 steps to follow for editing yourself.
If you're getting overwhelmed by editing, have no fear. Print out this list or save it to a document and highlight every step that you finish. It'll show you where your progress is at and really help your confidence in organization. At least it did for me! Editing isn't something you should hate - it's one of the longest parts of the novel process. So here's some help :)



JULIE MOZART'S ALL-IN-ONE EDITING PLAN 1.5


(Draft 1)

1.     Write plot outline

2.     Organize outline until it works

3.     Write sloppy copy
(Draft 2

)4.     Write outline to every chapter

5.     Print out and arrange by chapter 

6.     Write where certain scenes need to be added

7.     Edit out unneeded scenes

8.     Write scenes and take out the scenes in the actual document

9.     Read through and highlight scenes and chapters that need to be rewritten

10.   Rewrite them
(Draft 3

)11.   Read through

12.   Copyedit, sentence structure, line editing, prettying up, other
(Draft 4)

13.   Send to paid editor (“paid”, lol) for substantive and copy editing

14.   Make due adjustments to plot outline

15.   Make due adjustments to actual draft (for both plot and grammar/vocabulary)
(Draft 5)

16.   Send to Beta readers

17.   Gather street team

18.   Send to paid editor for proofreading

19.   Make due adjustments from editor/beta feedback
(Draft 6)

20.   Read through once more with draft PRINTED

21.   Attack draft with red pen and highlighters

22.   Forcibly make other people volunteer to proofread (because we thrifty)

23.   Make marked changes on the e-draft

24.   Final read through and content change

(Draft 7)

25.   Acknowledgments and specially-special stuff

26.   ISNB, copyright, and legal stuff

27.   Format into a book

28.   Choose proper font2

9.   Try desperately to make your own cover and then prob bribe someone else to do it

30.   Have betas/street-team/fam-jam look over cover and design if nervous (inevitable)

31.   Write synopsis

32.   Have betas/street-team/fam-jam proofread synopsis because we still cheap

33.   Check over draft for formatting mistakes (dropped italics/bold. Wrong font. Miss-spelled words)
(Draft 8)

34.   Order test copy

35.   Send out ARCs

35.   Read test copy and kiss that sucker cause it’s done.



And that, my pretties, is it. Hopefully, this helps some people - I know it would have helped me. If you have any questions or suggestions for my editing plan, don't hesitate to drop a comment below. I'm not a professional editor by a long stretch, and I'm not an award-winning author. This doesn't replace a paid editor. However, it's a starting place for floundering authors in their editing place. A sort of author-to-author help.
But, since I'm sure you're dying to get started on this plan, I'll will let you get to it, and stop talking.


Julie Mozart

Comments

Popular Posts